Monday, January 31, 2011

Last Post of January!

I finished my homework and studying for the day, however I have a class that starts shortly (a 5pm GEOL120 Discussion Section).  Tomorrow's post is going to be on "This is a Christian Nation!" if campus is closed tomorrow due to icy conditions.  If not, I'll find a shorter topic to post about.  Today's post is for all of the people that tell me (or atheists in general) that I am too intelligent for them to engage in a discussion with me.

I would like to begin by saying I am sure there are plenty of people out there that do not think I am intelligent in the slightest.  They may be correct, but this is not the the point of this post.  When speaking about a belief you have, whether it be a religious belief, you must have reasons for holding it.  The only thing I am asking you for is, "What do you believe and why?".  If I find something that I happen to disagree with, then I'll ask you to defend your belief.  At this point, after questioning your belief and showing you exactly where I think your errors are, I start receiving comments such as:  "You're trying to use logic too much" or "You're too smart to talk to".  Intelligence has nothing to do with this conversation!  If you hold a belief, just tell me the reasons for which you hold this belief.  When I point out the fallacies in the way you are reasoning, one of three things should happen:
  1. Tell me I am the one who is mistaken and defend your belief
  2. Recognize my criticisms and tell me you'll get back to me as you do more research while you think through your reasoning
  3. Recognize my criticisms and change your mind
None of these involve you realizing that my criticisms make sense, but refusing to address them and attributing your lack of a good reason to hold your belief to my intelligence is absurd.  If you recognize the fact that you don't have good reasons for your belief... drop the belief!  Please note that this is not the same as saying the opposite viewpoint is true.  Just reject your belief that X for the time being.

Please e-mail me at brbailey@umd.edu or leave a comment below!  Off to class!  Have a great day!       

No comments:

Post a Comment