Sunday, January 30, 2011

Busy, Busy, Busy!

It's Sunday today!  Some people might be busy going to church, but I'm busy studying and learning.  A combination of Calculus II problems, Philosophy homework, some atheist podcasts, spilling soda on my laptop, and trying to fit in eating have plagued this day.  Today is a short post because I'm probably going to go to bed early (I have a lecture at 8am tomorrow morning).  So, today I'm going to ask my readers to answer some questions!  I expect everyone who reads this post to answer these questions; even if they are short.  Please submit the answers to my e-mail at brbailey@umd.edu or number and answer the questions in the comments section below.  When I get a significant number of replies or someone says something I really want to address, I'll dedicate an entire post to these questions.  Have a great beginning to the week!  Since there is a dichotomy between atheists and theists, answer the group of questions under the label that most accurately describes you.

Questions for the theists:

  1. What is your number one reason for believing in a god or gods? 
  2. What is your best argument you would use if you were trying to convince a nonbeliever that your god or gods exist?
  3. What are your views on...
    1. Atheism?
    2. Science?
    3. Skepticism?
    4. Knowledge?
    5. Homosexuality?
  4. Is faith a good thing?
  5. How literally or metaphorically do you take your religious texts?  How much of the text do you actually follow?
Questions for the atheists:

  1. Why are you an atheist?
  2. What, if any, religion did you belong to before you became an atheist?  What was your experience in this former religion?
  3. What are your opinions about atheist activism?
  4. Do you like the word "atheist" to describe yourself or do you prefer another label (i.e. pearlist, freethinker, bright, etc.)?
  5. What is the greatest threat that religion poses to society?
Thanks for your time!

No comments:

Post a Comment